Saturday, April 30, 2005

Calmness of mind

I often have people express to me the concern that the non-judgment of meditation will leave them blank or unfeeling. Nothing could be further from the truth! The Dalai Lama speaks to this in The Art of Happiness which he wrote with Howard C. Cutler:

I should mention that when we speak of a calm state of mind or peace of mind, we shouldn't confuse that with a totally insensitive, apathetic state of mind. Having a calm or peaceful state of mind doesn't mean being totally spaced out or completely empty. Peace of mind or a calm state of mind is rooted in affection and compassion. There is a very high level of sensitivity and feeling there.

As long as there is a lack of the inner discipline that brings calmness of mind, no matter what external facilities or conditions you have, they will never give you the feeling of joy and happiness that you are seeking. On the other hand, if you possess this inner quality, a calmness of mind, a degree of stability within, then even if you lack various external facilities that you would normally consider necessary for happiness, it is still possible to live a happy and joyful life.

You know, a major breakthrough for me was coming to the inner conviction that it is right to want to be happy. And that's why I meditate. Because it works. With a reliable meditative practice I am a happy person. And I know that without a reliable meditative practice, I wouldn't be!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:26 AM

    you write good things about meditation.I have been reading u for last one month.I am also practising meditation daily.I want to say many things to u regarding meditation and also your views please give me your email id.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:33 AM

    you write good things about meditation.I have been reading u for last one month.I am also practising meditation daily.I want to say many things to u regarding meditation and also your views please give me your email id.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, you can access my email address through my profile.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.