Sunday, September 28, 2008

A prayer of great compassion

I know I blogged this before some time ago but I happened to come across it again today on Beliefnet and decided it was worth repeating. I do think this is very inspiring and energizing:

May I become at all times, both now and forever
A protector for those without protection
A guide for those who have lost their way
A ship for those with oceans to cross
A bridge for those with rivers to cross
A sanctuary for those in danger
A lamp for those without light
A place of refuge for those who lack shelter
And a servant to all in need.

--The 14th Dalai Lama

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:49 PM

    This is a powerful ambition. I am struggling to reconcile it with the notion that Buddhist meditation is not about "self-improvement."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Steve.

    I think it has to do with the role of the ego. The Dalai Lama's prayer strikes me as being about letting go of the ego whereas "self-improvement", as we generally understand it, is about enhancing the ego.

    Then, again, we might just be dealing with paradox here -- with which Eastern thought is far more comfortable than Western approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:14 PM

    Ahh. Of course. Paradox. Thanks and "May you be well."

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.