Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Learning to calm down

~~~
I tend to go for a long time forgetting to check in to the Beliefnet website and whenever I remember to visit I'm really glad I did. Today I found a slide show type artice entitled 7 Quick Ways to Calm Down.

Here's a bit about one method:
Breathe Deeply
....
Years ago, I learned the "Four Square" method of breathing to reduce anxiety:

1. Breathe in slowly to a count of four.
2. Hold the breath for a count of four.
3. Exhale slowly through pursed lips to a count of four.
4. Rest for a count of four (without taking any breaths).
5. Take two normal breaths.
6. Start over again with number one.
This is really excellent and it works like a charm.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to copy down just the basic name of all seven calming methods on an index card or the like and tape a copy to our desk and/or a kitchen cabinet or some place else where we can easily see it. Then use one of the methods whenever the occasion presents itself for the need to calm down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.