I tend to go for a long time forgetting to check in to the Beliefnet website and whenever I remember to visit I'm really glad I did. Today I found a slide show type artice entitled 7 Quick Ways to Calm Down.
Here's a bit about one method:
Breathe DeeplyThis is really excellent and it works like a charm.
Years ago, I learned the "Four Square" method of breathing to reduce anxiety:
1. Breathe in slowly to a count of four.
2. Hold the breath for a count of four.
3. Exhale slowly through pursed lips to a count of four.
4. Rest for a count of four (without taking any breaths).
5. Take two normal breaths.
6. Start over again with number one.
I'm thinking it might be a good idea to copy down just the basic name of all seven calming methods on an index card or the like and tape a copy to our desk and/or a kitchen cabinet or some place else where we can easily see it. Then use one of the methods whenever the occasion presents itself for the need to calm down.