Sunday, November 21, 2010

Another approach to sound meditation

The following is from an article entitled "Mindfulness Meditation: Calming Your Thoughts and Emotions" by Jyotish Novak:
You will greatly reduce your level of mental restlessness simply by becoming more centered in the here and now. One of the most effective ways to do this is through increasingly sensitive listening. First listen to your outer environment. Try to see how many different sounds you can hear. Start with those that are loudest — sounds in your house or the sounds of traffic. Then try to listen for more subtle sounds such as distant bird songs or wind in the trees. Then become aware of very soft sounds — the sound of your breath or even your heartbeat.
The rest of the article talks about sensitive listening to thoughts and feelings. Recommended!

3 comments:

  1. It's funny you mentioning sound tonight, Ellie, because (whisper it) I think my noisy downstairs neighbours must have finally moved out today while I was at work because all is dark and quiet in their flat and the silence is utterly blissful. So, the loudest sound is my computer, for about the first time in a year. This is slightly off-topic, I realise, so please forgive, but your quote chimes in so exactly with the very thing that I am most grateful for in this exact moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Reminds me of the attempt at meditation as I heard the birds singing around me. Does wonders! Good information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good day! Thanks for sharing those bits of information about meditation. I'll be bookmarking that article for me to read later. I know it's going to be good! I've been looking for meditation articles all over the Net. Good thing I happen to pass by your blog and find this post. Again, thanks for sharing!

    Actually, what has gotten me into meditation are my friends who have invited me to a Thetahealing session. Since then, I've been looking for more ways to soothe my soul. I'm very thankful for the techniques taught during the sessions. It's because of those Thetahealing techniques that I've started to use uplifting music during meditation.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.