Saturday, March 20, 2010

The ten minute rule

This is from friend of the Center, Larry Hochhaus:
When obsessing on a future event which makes us fearful, we can ask, "what can I do about it now?" We can also follow my friend Tommy's 10-minute rule. Namely, if I'm thinking about something of concern I can limit the time I'll spend on it to ten minutes. If I'm engaged in doing something in the present that requires my attention, like driving or listening to someone sharing information with me, at the same time I'm dwelling on the past or fearing the future I need to shift my focus to the here and now immediately. To keep my focus on the present, it may be helpful to redirect my attention to my five senses. That is, ask myself what am I seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, touching right here "just for today," "just for this moment?"
Redirecting one's attention to the five senses is very helpful indeed when our thoughts are taking us hostage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.