Thursday, December 02, 2010

Listening

Compassion makes this possible. Yes, skill is involved as well, but compassion is the foundation:

When I have been listened to and when I have been heard, I am able to re-perceive my world in a new way and to go on. It is astonishing how elements that seem insoluble become soluble when someone listens, how confusions that seem irremediable turn into relatively clear flowing streams when one is heard. I have deeply appreciated the times that I have experienced this sensitive, empathic, concentrated listening.

-- Carl Rogers

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I were discussing this morning how to respond to some issues we're having with our 9 year old son, and we were unsure how to proceed.

    This is exactly the counsel I needed.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Shelley. I'm so glad you found this helpful and thanks for telling me.

    I sincerely hope things go well for you both along with your son.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.