Thursday, June 12, 2008

True non-resistance

Our culture is based on competition. If something is in our way we are socialized to believe we must enter into a contest with whatever that something is. Here's another approach:

'Embracing' is the key to the understanding of how to balance polarities. The waters of a brook do not accuse the rock of being in its path. The water does not say: 'Rock, I hate you, do not stand in my way or I wash you away.' The water says: 'Hi there, Rock, I grant you the right to be there, but I desire to create my energies elsewhere' -- and now the water giggles around the rock. We can learn from the water. It does not fear or hate the rock, it does not resist it either. In this sense the act of embracing should be understood.

-- Peter Erbe

1 comment:

  1. That is a really good quote, and it's interesting that by "acceptance" of the rock, the water will, little by little, erode is, and wash that obstacle out of its way :)

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.