Sunday, October 12, 2008

A question for all of us

Just ponder this for a while, okay?

The Pearl of Great Price

He asked me what I was looking for.

"Frankly," I said, "I'm looking for the Pearl of Great Price."

He slipped his hand into his pocket, drew it out, AND GAVE IT TO ME. It was just like that! I was dumbfounded. Then I began to protest: "You don't want to give it to me! Don't you want to keep it for yourself? But. . ."

When I kept this up, he said finally, "Look, is it better to have the Pearl of Great Price, or to give it away?"

Well, now I have it. I don't tell anyone. From some there would just be disbelief and ridicule.

"You have the Pearl of Great Price? Hah!" Others would be jealous, or someone might steal it.

Yes, I do have it. But there's that question - "Is it better to have it, or to give it away?" How long will that question rob me of my joy?

-- Theophane Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.