Thursday, September 21, 2006

Attention

This week in ongoing class we focused on the importance of attention. Here are two quotes that speak to this:

The first is from Ageless Body, Timless Mind:

The quality of one's life depends on the quality of attention. Whatever you pay attention to will grow more important in your life.

— Deepak Chopra

The second is from Shelter for the Spirit:

Just remember that those things that get attention flourish.

— Victoria Moran

Let's all make a point of noticing when we're just not paying attention and then coach ourselves to wake up!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:34 AM

    I thought of this in terms of the attention I pay to unhealthy things, too, how attention causes them to become bigger and bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, Anonymous. That's so true. A good example is nursing a grudge. The more we pay attention to our feelings of ill will toward someone, the more they will grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:30 PM

    This is good advice for me. I just got home from the hospital and I find I give a lot of attention to my physical pain. By attending to other matters the pain should decrease. But I don't think I'll give up the pain pills yet!

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.