Monday, September 18, 2006

No expectations

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Leroy

I suppose I might have saved the following quote for Friday since that's my usual cat blogging day but I just found this and simply had to share it!

Having five cats around the house helps me have no expectations. They are not goal-fulfilling creatures in any human sense. There is little one can expect of a cat.

— Clarice Bryan in Expect Nothing

Once more, lest I be misunderstood here, observations like this are not to suggest that we go passive or become apathetic. Without a doubt, it is wise to take appropriate and enthusiastic action that is consistent with our aspirations. When we choose to let go of expectations, we prevent ourselves from being taken hostage by them. We let go of an attachment to results. We want results to happen, of course, but an attachment to results unsettles the mind and often causes considerable suffering when those results do not manifest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.