Wednesday, June 23, 2010

More about impermanence

It might well do us all some good to take a look at whatever tends to shock us or upset our equilibrium. Then it would be helpful to ask ourselves if maybe we forgot about impermanence:

[I]mpermanence is the nature of the human condition. This is a truth we know in our minds but tend to resist in our hearts. Change happens all around us, all the time, yet we long for the predictable, the consistent. We want the reassurance that comes from things remaining the same. We find ourselves shocked when people die, even though death is the most predictable part of life.

-- Jack Kornfield

1 comment:

  1. I agree. There has been a lot of change in my life though - I've never stayed in the same job or the same house for long, never settled down with any person, haven't even lived in the same country all my life - so I feel maybe a little more used to change than some? It has its good points. I'm not sure stability doesn't have its good points too though.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.