Friday, November 10, 2006

Rest in peace

Edgar Finlay (? - November 9, 2006)

Ethel and Edgar

Dear friends, it is my sad duty to tell you that Edgar had to be put down last night. The circumstances are too complicated and painful for me to go into right now but be aware that he was FIV positive (feline AIDS) and that that was part of it.

He had a very beautiful death. He purred right up to the end when he died with his old head on the arm I was cradling him with. Needless to say, I am heartbroken.

Ethel will miss her life partner. Now she is all alone. Unlike Edgar, who was a real love muffin, Ethel is still quite wild and will rarely let me touch her - and then only for a second or two. I have tried to invite her in but she won't come. Perhaps when it gets cold and Edgar is not there for her to snuggle with, I will be able to coax her inside. We shall see.

I'm having Edgar cremated. Perhaps I will bury his ashes in the yard where he was so happy. Perhaps I'll come up with another plan. I'm not sure yet.

Do remember me in my grief and say a prayer or spare a thought for Edgar as he makes the great transition.

He was a good, good kitty.

5 comments:

  1. Beloved pets are woven into the fabric of our lives and their parting is hard to bear. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:31 AM

    I remember a beautiful little story that appeared in the TSPCA newsletter in 1999 about "The Truth About Cats and Dogs." The jest of the story was that Adam felt unloved so God created "dog" to help him feel loved. The Adam became "too full of himself." So...
    "God created Cat. And Cat would not obey Adam. And when Adam gazed into Cat's eyes, he was reminded that he was not the supreme being. And Adam learned humility. And God was pleased. And Adam was improved. And Dog wagged his tail. And Cat didn't care one way or the other."
    I really do know how you feel. I've mourned many a cat, but a new one always shows up to help relieve my grieving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most high, almighty Lord, our Creator, Yours is the praise, the glory, the honour and all blessings! To You alone do all things belong. Be praised for giving us the animals, birds and fish which fill Your world. Grant our petitions through the intercession of good St. Francis of Assisi, who honored You through all Your creatures.

    We remember before You, Edgar, Sister Ellie's cat. He had trust in her as we have trust in You; We are on this earth together to give one another friendship, affection, and caring. Take our heartfelt prayers for Sister Ellie as she grieves his loss.

    Your goodness is turned upon every living thing and Your grace flows to all Your creatures. We thank You that when You deemed it time, You will freed Edgar from all earthly ill, and released him from pain and suffering. Help us to not be overwhelmed by loss, but have confidence in Your goodness, and strength; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Monk-in-training for your beautiful expression of sympathy. I am very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:19 PM

    Ellie, your many friends grieve with you for the loss of Edgar. You were a blessing in each others lives. You worried so much when the weather was so hot or so cold and Edgar couldn't/Ethel wouldn't come in. I am grateful that you could share in his death experience.

    Poor Ethel. I grieve for her as well.Your friends can share in your grief; how does Ethel cope?

    Thank you for sharing your grief with us. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.