Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Something about choices

I want to share three quotations with you today because I really think they go together:
Every decision you make - every decision - is not a decision about what to do. It's a decision about Who You Are. When you see this, when you understand it, everything changes. You begin to see life in a new way. All events, occurrences, and situations turn into opportunities to do what you came here to do. -Neale Donald Walsch

To live is to choose. But to choose, you must know who you are and what you stand for, where you want to go, and why you want to get there…. - Kofi Annan

Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions. - Dalai Lama
It occurs to me that if we really see our choices and decisions as being about who we are, we will be more able to let go of attachments to outcome. And that letting go will hugely reduce our stress and increase our well being.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I think I might steal these exact three quotes to put on my course syllabus for this semester; I'm teaching a professional writing class and I want them to know they are learning about themselves even if it seems they aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By all means, Courtney! After all, I stole 'em myself from some place! :-)

    And you are so correct. Writing will really teach us about ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.