Friday, August 31, 2007

Don't rely just on inspiration


I'm lying in bed now propped up against some pillows with my computer on my lap listening to Brahms (The 3rd Symphony to be precise) who said this:
Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind.
It strikes me that there is a certain craftsmanship to meditation and that cultivating not only gives us greater benefits than not but that we also end up more motivation because of the sheer joy involved.

Many years ago, I went through a period in which my life seemed utterly shattered and I just didn't know how I would go on. Brahms saved me, really. I have never been able to hear (or perform) Brahms without spontaneously praying. So listening to this music today is a sweet and beautiful act of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New policy: Anonymous posts must be signed or they will be deleted. Pick a name, any name (it could be Paperclip or Doorknob), but identify yourself in some way. Thank you.